Southern Blooms Festival
Rock City's Flower Festival and Gardening Event
See Rock City in full bloom at this flower-filled festival! Discover a living sculpture, revel in the old-timey music of Matt Downer, watch the kids create their own works of art, and buy a plant to start a little enchantment in your own yard. Specialty spring treats from food and retail locations around the garden will delight!
May | 2022
Hours & Pricing
May 2022 | 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Timed-entry reservations recommended. Dates can sell out.
- Admission to Rock City free with valid annual pass - reservations not required.
Entertainment & Activities
- Matt Downer – returns as the quintessential musical voice of Rock City. He performs traditional old time music on fiddle, banjo, and guitar. “One of the last, best examples of the oral tradition in American folk music.” – Pulse Magazine. Appearing on Cliff Terrace at the Leap from 10am – 4pm.
- The Living Fountain – perched atop the garden fountain, a live performer embodies the role of a fountain statue as the gentle sounds of falling water engulf the pavilion. Appearing in the Pavilion from 10am – 5pm.
- Kids Flower Art – Multiple easels surround the fountain, encouraging kids to create their own interpretive art pieces based on this centerpiece. Available in the Pavilion from 10am – 5pm.
- Make and Take – Seeds, recycled containers, and soil are provided to plant your own southern blooms inspired flowers. Available outside the Pavilion from 10am – 5pm.
Events in May 2022
|May 1, 2022||May 2, 2022||May 3, 2022||May 4, 2022||May 5, 2022||May 6, 2022||May 7, 2022|
|May 8, 2022||May 9, 2022||May 10, 2022||May 11, 2022||May 12, 2022||May 13, 2022||May 14, 2022|
|May 15, 2022||May 16, 2022||May 17, 2022||May 18, 2022||May 19, 2022||May 20, 2022||May 21, 2022|
|May 22, 2022||May 23, 2022||May 24, 2022||May 25, 2022||May 26, 2022||May 27, 2022||May 28, 2022|
|May 29, 2022||May 30, 2022||May 31, 2022||June 1, 2022||June 2, 2022||June 3, 2022||June 4, 2022|
Mother's Day Lunch
Mother's Day Lunch
Treat Mom to a special lunch at Rock City! Tickets include a lunch, timed-entry to Rock City for the Southern Blooms Festival, a keepsake plant for mom, plus a souvenir photo.
Sunday, May 8
*Special pricing for Annual Passholders available – $25.95 adults and $14.95 children. Checkout with your member number and email address for discounted pricing to appear.
- Quiche Lorraine or Chicken Salad on a Croissant
- Chicken Tenders & Fries available for children
- Mixed Green Salad with vegetables and Strawberry Balsamic Dressing
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cloud or Chocolate Cake
Featured Dining & Retail
Featured Dining & Retail
Open 11am – 4pm (No alcohol until 12pm on Sundays)
- Vegan Blooming Bowl – Quinoa base topped with seasonal spring vegetables, sprouts and an edible flower
- Meat and Cheese Plate – Goat’s cheese dusted with flower petals served with baguette, local honey and sliced Virginia ham formed into a rosette
- Awesome Blossom – fried blooming onion served with comeback sauce
- Dried pineapple “flower” filled with coconut cream
- Butterfly Pea Tea Lemonade
- Hibiscus Tea
Frieda’s Flower Sale
Multiple plants for sale to plant in your own garden! Available near the pavilion.
Fairy Garden Workshop
Supplies available to purchase for kids to create their very own fairy gardens.
Rock City springs to life! Stroll through the gardens as they explode to life, filling our park with the fresh scent of new blooms. Engulf yourself in a multitude of vibrant colors and experience the trail at its botanical finest…
Blooms late spring to late summer with white-gray stalks covered with magenta, pale pink, or white trumpet-shaped flowers.
Blooms late spring, remaining into early and mid-summer. The cup-shaped flowers take on shades of rose, pink and white with darker, purple spots and markings inside the petals.
Blooms from spring until frost and found in every color of the rainbow in solids, contrasting veins or edges, and star patterns. The flowers may be large or small, ruffled, fringed, or double.
Blossoms appear from early spring to mid-summer, with colors of pure white through cream and yellow, apricot and salmon, pinks to reds, lavender to deep purple and blue.
With bloom times from early spring to late summer, the colors range from white to shades of pink, red, yellow, and orange. These deciduous shrubs are types of rhododendron.
Partners & Sponsors
Southern Blooms Festival Community Partner:
The Partnership for Families, Children, and Adults has been serving the Tennessee Valley community for 140 years through professional counseling, crisis intervention, and prevention services.