This premiere Fall Event includes live German music, polka lessons, German food, specialty beer, German dancing, costumed characters, and fun for the whole family! Join the fun at Rock City for the 14th annual Rocktoberfest as we celebrate our German heritage and honor our founder, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter!
October | 2020
Child ages 3-12
Hours & Pricing
October Weekends | 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Premiere Event Admission
- Free with valid Annual Pass
Rocktoberfest Activities & Entertainment
Rocktoberfest Activities & Entertainment
All performance times can be found in the calendar above.
- Live German Music – It’s time to Oompah! Step into those lederhosen or drindl and get ready for a polka! An Oktoberfest celebration wouldn’t be complete without the old world sounds of an authentic German Oompah Band! Rocktoberfest is proud to feature the music of The Wurstbrats, The Musik Meisters, and the Best Wurst Band.
- German inspired dance performances and lessons – The Rock City Talent Dancers explore the world of German and Bavarian Folk Dance. Enjoy performances to classic Bavarian tunes. Plus, Jeff Sandy will help you learn the traditional basic steps of the Polka during our free lessons!
- Frieda’s German Heritage Tour: a historical, guided walking tour – Travel back in time on a guided tour to learn about the heritage and history of Rock City Gardens. Learn the enchanting legacy of founder, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter and her German heritage and love of German folklore and fairytales.
- Birds of Prey Raptor Shows – Your hearts will soar as Wings to Soar shares their loveable rescue birds of prey during this interactive, uplifting, educational encounter.
- Meet the Fall Fairy – The Fall Fairy has arrived at Rock City Gardens, bringing the enchantment of autumn along with her. Stop by the Fall Fairy Haus to capture a magical photo.
- Meet Rocky the Elf and Hay-ley & Hay-den, our loveable wayfinding scarecrows throughout the gardens.
- Interactive Caricature and Mime artists will be near the Pavilion and throughout the park during the event.
- Kids Activities including pumpkin painting and geode dig activity stations (additional fees apply)
|March 1, 2020||March 2, 2020||March 3, 2020||March 4, 2020||March 5, 2020||March 6, 2020||March 7, 2020|
|March 8, 2020||March 9, 2020||March 10, 2020||March 11, 2020||March 12, 2020||March 13, 2020||March 14, 2020|
|March 15, 2020||March 16, 2020||March 17, 2020||March 18, 2020||March 19, 2020||March 20, 2020||March 21, 2020|
|March 22, 2020||March 23, 2020||March 24, 2020||March 25, 2020||March 26, 2020||March 27, 2020||March 28, 2020|
|March 29, 2020||March 30, 2020||March 31, 2020||April 1, 2020||April 2, 2020||April 3, 2020||April 4, 2020|
Dining & Menus
Dining & Menus
Open 11am – 4pm
- Beyond Brat (plant-based bratwurst) braised in beer and grilled, topped with sauerkraut and whole grain mustard or curry ketchup.
- Wienerschnitzel (fried veal cutlet) with house-made spaetzle (German dumpling-style noodles) with green beans and Black Forest ham topped in swiss fondue.
- Beef Rouladen (braised beef rolled around a stuffing of bacon, onions, and pickles) with German style potato salad
- Apple Crisp with Clumpies Whisky Caramel Crunch ice cream.
- Also serving a variety of Oktoberfest beers and select Riesling wines.
Food/Beer served Saturday 11am – 5pm and Sunday 12pm – 5pm
- Bavarian Schwinebraten und Kraut sandwich (Bavarian Pork Sandwich) – Slow roasted pork loin seasoned with traditional German spices, topped with German style kraut served on a Kaiser roll.
- Beer Cheese Soup in a Bread Bowl
- Grilled Bratwursts
- German Sauerkraut
- Specialty beer on tap
- Featuring Beer Cheese Soup in a Bread Bowl, Grilled Bratwurst, German Sauerkraut with specialty beer on tap.
Big Rock Grill
Open 11am – 6pm
- Black Forrest Burger – fresh ground beef, black forrest ham, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo and German mustard.
- German Chocolate Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispy Treats – NEW! A fall twist on Rice Krispy treats! The fun pumpkin shape is just half the magic. Bite into these delicious treats and taste fall with a hint of pumpkin spice!
- Pumpkin Spice Fudge
- Oversized pretzels and select dipping sauces
Open Saturdays 11am – 6pm and Sundays 12pm – 6pm
- Enjoy this sweet vintage German Gewurztraminer grape from Georgia Winery, which offers a strong fragrant aroma and a smooth, spicy finish.
The Musik Meisters
Schedule: October 5, 6, 26, 27
The Musik Meisters is a Nashville based polka band that has been rolling out the barrels with audiences around the United States for over a decade. The Musik Meisters have been the featured house band at the historic Gerst Haus restaurant located in downtown Nashville for many years and are proud to call it home! This band is as pure and authentic as it gets. Wearing their Tyrolean attire and singing in German; your heart can only be happy as you move to the polka beat. Besides their regular “gig” at the Gerst, the band enjoys playing performances at ethnic festivals, celebrations, Oktoberfests, and private events large and small. Come listen to the happy music and raise your stein…Prosit!
Schedule: October 19 & 20
The Wurstbrats is Chattanooga’s premier oompah band. They perform at festivals, parties, dances, and listening sessions, as well as play the Chicken Dance as many times as they are dared. Wurstbrat: 1) A sausage usually made from unruly children 2) The top oompah band in Chattanooga, TN.
The Best Wurst Band
Schedule: October 12 & 13
The origin of Nashville’s Best Wurst Band traces back almost 20 years when the Gerst Haus restaurant (Nashville) opened its last location. Members of the Best Wurst Band played in one of the house bands (Alpine Mountain Band) several nights a month until the band leader retired. The music continued on under its new name until the restaurant closed early this year. The group has enjoyed performing throughout Tennessee for a wide range of events and venues from Oktoberfest celebrations to tailgate parties. The specialty of the group is German and European music, but the range of experience its musicians have enables it to perform other styles including dance band and jazz music
- Collector Beer Steins – Let us help you quench your thirst with our event specific limited edition Rocktoberfest beer steins – a “free first beer and discounted refills” coupon is included.
- Souvenir Specialty Pink Birdhouses and Merchandise available only in October during Rocktoberfest! Join us in supporting our community partner, the Mary Ellen Locher Scholarship Foundation by purchasing limited edition merchandise.
- Rocktoberfest Gear – Take a piece of Rocktoberfest home with YOU! Whether it’s a Rocktoberfest shirt, gnome, glass or novelty hat, you can take home a commemorative item to relive the memories you made at Rocktoberfest!
Partners & Sponsors
Rock City is proud to once again partner with the Mary Ellen Locher Scholarship Foundation for this year’s Rocktoberfest in conjunction with breast cancer awareness month.