Click to view events for that day
About Summer Music Weekends
Rock City's Summer Music Festival
Enjoy some of the best toe-tapping old time blue grass and a mix of modern and folk country music combined with a Seven States View during Summer Music Weekends... featuring the music of Matt Downer - Old Time Traveler and daily performances by up and coming bluegrass, country and folk music. Spend a summer day at Rock City Gardens, enjoy a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade, plan to dine at Cafe 7 - serving southern cuisine with a modern twist - AND check out the Rock City Raptors Birds of Prey shows in the Critter Classroom.
Hours and Pricing
Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend
8:30am – 7:00pm
Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays plus the week of July 4th
|Adult||Child (ages 3-12)|
|Summer Music Weekends Premiere Event Pricing||$22.95||$12.95|
*Most event activities included with admission
What to Do:
Summer Music Weekends now includes even more fun activities for the whole family to enjoy!
Event activities are held on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Enjoy the toe-tapping sounds of a bygone Appalachian era by Matt Downer, the Old Time Traveler.
- Birds of Prey Raptor Shows will make your heart soar to new heights as Wings to Soar shares their lovable rescue birds of prey during this interactive, uplifting, educational ecounter. Now with an additional show time!
- Capture the spirit of summertime in the South. Stop by at "Aunt Frieda's Firefly Jars" and create your very own glow in the dark firefly jar. Located near the Cliff Terrace Gazebo at Lover's Leap.
- Meet Rocky the Elf - Rock City's Adorable Mascot and The All American Music Lovers - Rock City's own crazy bunch of 1930s summertime, Americana, music loving characters located throughout the gardens.
- Café 7 Stage - Live Music - enjoy the sweet sounds of summer as you take in the view of seven states and dine on some of the South's best food. Check the calendar above for specific performer line-up.
- Walking in Frieda's Footsteps - a historical, guided walking tour - Step back in time and See Rock City through the eyes of our founder, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter, on this special guided tour of the gardens. Tours are on a first come, first serve basis and limited to 12 guests per tour. Meet at the Ticket Plaza behind the ticket desk.
- WSRC RADIO with Interactive Kid's Show - WSRC RADIO will broadcast LIVE from the WSRC RADIO Stage. The All American Music Lovers host this 1930s era radio show featuring special guest appearances from guest musicians. Other special guests will include park guests throughout the day. Children will be invited to come up on stage and sing along to some classic tunes and join in the fun! Located in the Garden's Gateway Courtyard.
2018 Summer Concerts
2018 Summer Concerts
This year's Summer Music Weekends concert line-up has expanded to include exciting, toe-tapping country and bluegrass acts!
Concerts held on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. See below for specific performer dates.
Matt Downer - Old Time Traveler
Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays
The Old Time Traveler, Matt Downer, has been playing old time music in the TN Valley since 2005. Matt has earned a reputation for his high energy brand of traditional music, kicking new life into old tunes. Downer rotates through on fiddle, banjo, guitar, and vocals and a typical performance might feature anything from wild, red-hot fiddle tunes, to traditional ballads and novelty songs. Journey back to the roots of early Southern string band music with the Old Time Traveler and remember why folks still call them "the good old days".
Check back as other artists are added to the 2018 Line-up
In the summer, check out all of our summer annuals blooming all summer long. We also have Becky Shasta Daisies, Limelight Hydrangeas, Deep Rose Sunpatiens, Petunias, Black-Eyed Susans, and Purple Heart plants blooming in our gardens.
Partners & Sponsors
Rock City is proud to support the Lula Lake Land Trust during our Summer Music Weekends series.
Lula Lake Land Trust preserves natural and historic landscapes through conservation, education, and low impact recreation. The Lula Lake Land Trust seeks to create a network of conservation properties within the watershed that will ensure protection and enhancement of local water quality, protect areas which maintain contiguous forest cover and scenic views, provide opportunities for research and education programs and designate areas suitable for public access, use and enjoyment.