Click to view events for that day
About Southern Blooms Festival
Rock City's Flower Festival and Gardening Event
Come "See" Rock City in all of its spring glory as we celebrate and honor our original gardener, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter. Walk in Frieda's Footsteps and learn about the legacy and heritage of the gardens by our tour guides and Master Gardeners. Meet members of our horticulture team and be a part of planting the gardens. Kids of all ages can enjoy educational make-and-take activities and learn what it takes to make a garden grow!
Hours and Pricing
May 11, 12, 18, & 19, 2019
10am – 5pm
|Adult||Child (ages 3-12)|
|Rock City Premiere Event Admission||$26.95||$14.95|
|Annual Passholders||Free with valid annual pass||Free with valid annual pass|
*Most event activities included with admission
Southern Blooms Activities
Southern Blooms Festival Activities
See Rock City in full bloom during this flower festival and gardening event. There's fun for the whole family, including garden tours and kids' activities, plus Southern Blooms dining specials and garden-themed souvenirs!
Walking in Frieda's Footsteps - a historical, guided walking tour - Set out on a guided tour of Rock City Gardens at learn about the enchanting history of the gardens and our founder, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter. See Schedule Above.
Free Gardending Advice - The Hamilton County Master Gardeners will host an informational table next to Cliff Terrace to answer garden questions and offer planting advice.
Enjoy the peaceful sounds of harpist, Ellen Shiraef
Garden 2 Go! Kids Activity - Kids can plant and decorate their own flower "Garden 2 Go" all while learning about what it takes to make a garden grow!
Fairy Garden Workshop - Enjoy the art of gardening and leaern how to make your own Fairy Garden at our Southern Blooms Fairy Garden Workshop. The class is approximately 30-45 minutes and inlcudes a Fairy Garden starter kit. See Schedule Above. $29.95
Interactive Planting Demonstrations - Rock City's Horticulture Team will be conducting planting demonstrations each morning. Kids and adults alike can join in the fun and plant a flower at Rock City Gardens! See Schedule Above.
Featured Areas of the Enchanted Trail
- Stroll Legacy Lane - See Rock City through the decades at our Legacy Lane showcase. Stroll down Legacy Lane from the original 1932 gatehouse enjoying the nostaligia of each decade showcase. You'll learn about the history of Rock City Gardens as well as what else was happening in the United Staets and the world during that time.
Fairyland Caverns - There's no better way to experience Frieda's love of German fairytales and folklore than to explore the childhood wonders of her beloved Fairyland Caverns. Debuting in the late 1940's in response to the post war tourism boom, this enchanting addition to Rock City Gardens was lovingly created by artist Jessie Sanders and featured scenes from classic fairytales illuminated in ultraviolet black light, a cutting edge technology of the day. Now, nearly 70 years later, this hand crafted legacy is bursting with new magic as refurbishments are underway; creating new immersive experiences for children of all ages.
Fairy Garden Workshops available by advance reservation.
- The Big Rock Grill will be featuring Homemade Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Edible Flower and Sugar Cookies with Green icing - just like on opening day!
- Cafe 7 will feature Clumpies' Lavendar-Hibiscus Ice Cream
- The Fudge Kitchen will feature special candies and fudge made with edible flowers.
- Southern Blooms Wine from the Georgia Winery - limited release, Southern Blush custom labeled for Southern Blooms Festival. This sweet and spicy Southern Classic is the perfect vintage to leisurly sip on the front porch during a warm summer night.
- Starbucks - nourish your garden with "Grounds for your Garden" available FREE daily inside Starbucks by the condiment bar. Plus, enjoy a Strawberry Shortcake Frappucino!
- Garden themed and Southern Blooms featured merchandise will be available in the Gardens Gateway Gift Shop and Woodland Wonders
- Southern Belle Boutique - kids can dress up like a belle on her way to a Spring garden party! Packages include dress, parasol and hair clip.
Enchanted Mother's Day Lunch
Celebrate Mother's Day at this Special Event
Allow us to pamper Mom, and your family, at our Enchanted Mother's Day Lunch! Skip the "Mother's Day restaurant crowds" and walk right in to a beautifully set table waiting just for you. Enjoy a freshly prepared three-course meal, all while enjoying the beautiful melodies of a live harp performance. After lunch, take a stroll along the Enchanted Trail and enjoy the beauty and wonder of Rock City Gardens. Mom will have memories to last a lifetime!
Sunday, May 13, 2018
Big Rock Grill at Rock City Gardens
Children (ages 3-12): $23.95
Tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable. Adult tickets include admission to Rock City Gardens, Table Service Lunch, one souvenir photo with Mom, and fresh flower stem. Child tickets include admission to Rock City Gardens, Table Service Lunch, and coloring sheet with crayons.
*Discounted annual passholder reservations are available. Please call 423-475-8988 for reservations.
When purchasing tickets, please indicate your meal selection for each guest.
Lemon Chicken: Lemon Chicken Piccata Cavatelli with grilled zucchini and choice of Rock Slide Brownies or Blueberry Cobbler White Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert.
Chicken Tenders: Served with Macaroni and Cheese and Mashed Potatoes. Choice of Rock Slide Brownies or Blueberry Cobbler White Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert.
Coca-Cola products, iced tea and coffee available with either meal.
Festival Flowers in Bloom
In May, look for these Southern Blooms blooming in our gardens:
Rhododendrons, Native Azaleas, Mountain Laurel, and Rose Campion
Partners & Sponsors
Rock City is proud to support the Family Connections Supervised Visitation Center as our community partner for the Southern Blooms Festival.