Click to view events for that day
Celebrate Fall at Rock City's German Festival
Get in touch with Rock City’s German Heritage during the 11th annual Rocktoberfest. Rock City Square will be transformed for a celebration of harvests and fall foliage. This premiere fall celebration includes live German music, polka lessons, German food, specialty beer, costumed characters and fun for the whole family. Join the fun at Rock City as we celebrate our German heritage and honor our founder, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter.
Hours and Pricing
Saturdays and Sundays in October
8:30am – 5:00pm
October 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30, 2016
|Adult||Child (ages 3-12)|
|Rocktoberfest Premiere Event Pricing||$22.95||$12.95|
Rocktoberfest is filled with German music and food, kids activities, birds of prey shows, dancing, and much more! See below for a list of all our fun-filled activities to make your day at Rock City's Rocktoberfest!
What to Do:
Rockin' the Pink Photo BoothNEW!
Stop by our new photo booth in the Garden's Gateway Courtyard and Rock the Pink with our assortment of fun dress-up items as we raise awareness for our community partner, the Mary Ellen Locker Foundation. Volunteers from the Foundation will be manning the booth with information about breast cancer and ways you can join the fight for a cure. Kodak will be on hand to capture the fun dress-up moments.
2016 Kid's Adventure Passport
Kids receive their very own passport booklet upon entering the park on event days. The passport invites participants to find special offerings throughout the park, which are specific to each event. Each event has a different character or location that will stamp their passport for attending that event! Attend more events and collect stamps throughout the year to become eligible for special rewards!
The Fall Fairy Haus
Kids can go on a grand adventure to find where the Fall Fairy lives.
Frieda's German Heritage Tour
Set out on a guided tour of Rock City Gardens and learn about the enchanting history of the gardens and our founder, Frieda Utermoehlen Carter's German heritage and her love of German folklore and fairytales.
"Say Oompah!" Photo Booth
Everybody loves a selfie and this year we've got just the place! Don some lederhosen with your favorite German/Oktoberfest photo booth props and captre the memory! Just remember to use #SayOompah when posting to your favorite social media sites.
Birds of Prey Raptors Shows in the Critter Classroom
Live German music, German dancing performances and polka dance lessons in the Rock City Pavilion - see lineup in calendar above.
Storytelling at Cliff Terrace Porch featuring Ik the Troll King
Kids activities including Pumpkin Painting*, Fairyland Forest Makeovers*, Panning for Gems*, Rock Climbing Wall*, balloons, music, mimes and more!
What to Eat:
The full-service dining terraces at Lovers Leap are the perfect place to take in the seven states view while feasting on delicious Southern cuisine. Cafe 7 will feature a special German dish during Rocktoberfest. Seating available 11am - 4pm Thursdays - Sundays.
Get the party started with a beer flight featuring a sampling of all three of our Rocktoberfest beers. Available at the Rock Shop Patio. $6.00
Rock City's Pavilion
Beer cheese soup in a bread bowl, grilled bratwursts, homemade sauerkraut and specialty Big River beer on tap in the pavilion.
Big Rock Grill
Rueben sandwiches and German chocolate cake.
Rock Shop Patio
Enjoy beer on tap and fresh pretzels on the Rock Shop Patio - located between Cliff Terrace and the Rock City Pavilion.
It's Oompah time! Enjoy this sweet vintage German gewurztraminer grape from Georgia Winery, which offers a strong fragrant aroma and a smooth, spicy finish.
Take Home a Souvenir:
- Commemorate your time hanging out with our gnomies with a Rocktoberfest gnome ornamnet and figure.
- Create your own masterpiece! Choose from a selection of mini-pumpkins and design your own colorful work of art. Or, just paint a silly face!
- Join us in supporting our community partners, Scenic City Survivors and the Mary Ellen Locher Foundation, with the purchase of limited edition items such as the Survivor Design - See Rock City Survivor "Words of Encouragement" mugs, pink Rock City birdhouses, birdhouse ornaments, lapel pins and mugs.
- Let us help you get a head start quenching your thirst with one of our limited edition Rocktoberfest beer steins - a "Free First Beer and Discounted Refills" coupon is included.
- Be the life of the party in our pavilion while wearing a novelty hat! We have chicken hats for the chicken dance and German Biarritz hats for sale.
- Even our famous Rock City fudge is getting in on the fall fun with pumpkin spice fudge! Make plans to stop by the Fudge Kitchen!
*Additional charge for some kids activities
In October, look for pansies, shasta daisies, fall mums and holly osmanthus blooming in our gardens.
Don’t miss the breathtaking views from Lovers Leap during the height of fall’s color.